Before attempting any exam, it’s essential to have an excellent understanding. It assists in preparation for scoring high. The Indian Institute of Technology has announced the GATE exam pattern 2022. There have been a couple of changes within the exam pattern, which incorporates MCQs and NAT (numerical answer type) questions.
In this blog, we are covering all the The GATE exam pattern 2022 which includes all the knowledge regarding the mode of examination, the number of questions asked within the test paper, the marking scheme, etc. This may eventually help the aspirants attain well in their examinations.
The GATE exam pattern 2022 is going to be released through the official brochure. The marking schemes for various exam papers might vary from one another. The overall Aptitude subject will be standard altogether in the question papers. To urge detailed information about the GATE 2022 exam pattern, read the below-given article.
GATE Exam Pattern 2022 Highlights
|Exam Duration||3 hours (180 minutes)|
|Number of Questions||65|
|Questions Type||There will be two types of question:
|Number of sections||Will comprise of total 3 sections except for AR, CY, GG, EY, XL, PH, and MA papers :
General Aptitude, Engineering Mathematics (for XL papers it is Chemistry), and Subject-Specific section
|General Aptitude Section||It will consist of a compulsory General Aptitude (GA) section constituting 10 questions. 5 of the questions among 10 will carry 1 mark and the rest 5 will carry 2 marks each. Total marks – 15.|
|Marking Scheme||2 types of MCQs:
GATE Exam Pattern 2022 – Paper Code Wise Subject Weightage
|Paper Code||Exam Pattern|
|CE, CS, EC, AE, AG, BT, CH, ME, MN, MT, EE, IN, TF, XE, PE, ST, and PI||GA (General Aptitude) – 15
Engineering Mathematics – 13 question
Subject of the Paper – 72 question
|AR, CY, GG, EY, XL, PH, and MA||GA (General Aptitude) – 15
Subject of the Paper – 85
GATE Marking Scheme 2022
|Paper Code||General Aptitude (GA) Marks||Subject Marks||GATE Total Marks||Total Time (In Minutes)|
|For subjects like AE, AR, AG, BT, CE, CH, CS, CY, EC, EE, ES, EY, IN, MA, ME, MN, MT, PE, PH, PI, TF, ST, and BM||15||85||100||180|
|For GG [Part A + Part B (Section 1 Geology OR Section 2 Geophysics)]||15||25 + 60||100||180|
|For XE (Section A + Any TWO Sections)||15||15 + (2 X 35)||100||180|
|For XH (Section B1 + Any ONE Section)||15||25 + (1 X 60)||100||180|
|For XL (Section P + Any TWO Sections)||15||25 + (2 X 30)||100||180|
Detailed GATE Exam Pattern 2022
It is essential that all candidates aspiring to appear for GATE 2022 clearly understand the paper pattern specific to the papers they plan to appear for. Candidates can refer to the below-listed points for detailed knowledge.
GATE 2022 Exam Pattern for Humanities & Social Sciences (XH)
- The candidates who have opted for Humanities and Social Sciences will likewise attempt the Reasoning & Comprehension section as a compulsory rule.
- The Reasoning & Comprehension section consists of 15 questions, for a total of 25 marks. 5 for 1 mark, and 10 for 2 marks each. The questions come in both NAT and MCQ types.
- General Aptitude is a mandatory subject consisting of a total 15 marks.
- During the time of registration, aspirants have to select one section from C1 and C6.
GATE 2022 Exam Pattern for Environmental Science and Engineering (ES)
- The candidates who have opted for ES should note that the Engineering Mathematics section is mandatory.
- The ES section will develop 15% (i.e. 15 marks) of total GATE marks.
- General Aptitude is an obligatory subject that consists of a total of 15 marks.
- The remaining 70 marks are given to the subject paper, which will be 85 marks.
- The GATE exam is of a total of 100 marks.
- The aspirants will get 180 minutes to write the exam.
GATE 2022 Exam Pattern for ECE, ME, CE, CSE, EEE, AE, AG, BT, XE, CH, CS, ME, MN, MT, PE, PI, TF Papers
- For all the papers mentioned above, Engineering Mathematics is a compulsory subject and carries 15% of the weightage of the total marks.
- The questions are usually based on the specific subject/discipline of the exam, which have 70% of the total weightage (i.e. 70 Marks).
- The other section of the GATE exam paper pattern includes General Aptitude questions that carry 15% of the total marks.
GATE 2022 Exam Pattern for AR, CY, EY, GG, MA, PH, ST, and XL Papers
- The General Aptitude section for all the papers considered above carries 15% of the total marks.
- 85% of the total marks is based on the diverse topics of all these papers.
- No questions from Engineering Mathematics are asked in these papers.
GATE Exam Pattern for GG Paper
- GA (General Aptitude) section for this paper includes 10 questions, a total of 15 marks.
- The GG question paper has two parts, i.e. Part A and Part B.
- Part A is standard for all applicants.
- Part B has two sections:
- Section 1 (Geology)
- Section 2 (Geo-Physics)
- All candidates have to attempt every question in Part A. In Part B, they must try either Section 1 or Section 2.
The GATE marks pattern for the GG papers is defined below:
- Part A covers 25 MCQs and carries 1 mark for each question, so the total 25 marks.
- Part B has 2 sections and consists of 30 MCQs Type of 2 marks for each question, so a total of 60 marks. In contrast, some questions may be NAT questions.
GATE Exam Pattern 2022 for XE
GATE 2022 marking scheme for the XE paper
For Section A Engineering Mathematics
This particular section includes 11 questions carrying a total of 15 marks in which:
- It consists of 7 questions and 1 mark each (subtotal 7 marks)
- The remaining 4 questions carry 2 marks each (subtotal 8 marks)
- Some questions may be of numerical answer type.
For Any 2 of the XE section from B to H
XE paper from section B to H includes a total of 22 questions carrying a total of 35 marks from which:
- 9 questions, carrying 1 mark each (subtotal 9 marks)
- The remaining 13 questions are of 2 marks each (subtotal 26 marks).
- A few questions can be of NAT.
GATE Exam Pattern 2022 for XL Paper
- GA (The General Aptitude section) carries 10 questions, a total of 15 marks.
- Section P– Chemistry is a compulsory section.
- The aspirants can select two sections from B to H (as mentioned in the table) after viewing the questions.
- Apart from the General Aptitude section, the XL paper includes 35 questions of 55 marks.
GATE marking scheme for the XL paper
The GATE 2022 marking scheme for the XL paper is mentioned below:
For Section P Chemistry
This section has 15 questions carrying a total of 25 marks in which:
- 5 questions with 1 mark for each (sub-total five marks)
- 10 questions with 2 marks each (sub-total 20 marks).
- A few questions can be of NAT.
For Any two of XL Sections Q to U
XL paper from section Q to U have 20 questions carrying a total of 30 marks in which:
- 10 questions carrying 1 mark each (sub-total ten marks)
- 10 questions with 2 marks for each (total 20 marks).
- A few questions can be of numerical answer type.
How will GATE 2022 Question Paper Design?
GATE 2022 exam analyses the abilities of applicants registered for the examination on various grounds.
The questions asked within the GATE question paper are directly linked to the principles, facts, formulas, or laws of the paper selected by the candidate. Therefore, the memory and computation skills of the candidates were put to the test.
Some questions test the essential understanding of the candidates in their respective fields of study. Therefore, candidates need to stress fundamental ideas to prolong simple conclusions.
Candidates are going to be required to use their computational and logical reasoning skills.
Analysis and Synthesis
The questions comprise a mixture of knowledge, diagrams, and pictures. Candidates are going to be ready to solve the questions by analyzing the knowledge contained in them.